Over 300 years of indexes to Oxfordshire Wills are now online at Origins.net
This dataset indexes all the surviving probate records of the bishop and archdeacon of Oxford for the period 1733 to 1857, and of the Oxfordshire Peculiars for 1547-1856.
The digitised images are presently not online. They will be available within the National Wills Index in early 2011, but meantime hard copies may be ordered online on Origins.net.
Information typically found in wills is:
- Names of heirs and beneficiaries
- Places of residence and origin of testators
- Places of residence of the heirs and beneficiaries
- Properties and whether freehold, copyhold or lease
- Debts owed and due
- Business arrangements
- Inventories of personal property
- Personal comments about heirs and beneficiaries