18 December 2011

More genealogy site rankings

Uberblogger Dick Eastman got me in trouble. Not that I mind.

Any time Dick, at eogn.com, mentions my blog, which he's done a couple of times previously, I get a spike of visits.  This time he saw my posting on the rankings of genealogy sites and pointed out that his site ranked the highest of any non-data site in the list. Thanks for the mention and kind words Dick. All I did was call them as I see them on Alexa.

How did it get me in trouble? While I do call them I see only what I look for, the sites I find valuable for the mandate of this blog. Read it at the top of the page

SINCE 2006, AN INDEPENDENT VIEW OF FAMILY HISTORY RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENTS WITH A BRITISH-CANADIAN PERSPECTIVE, FROM OTTAWA, CANADA'S CAPITAL FOR MORE THAN 150 YEARS.

There are lots of genealogy sites, good genealogy sites, that don't fall in the scope of my independent perspective. That's particularly the case with many US sites. A couple of their proprietors politely contacted me pointing out the lacunae. That probably wouldn't have happened if Dick hadn't noted his ranking.

One that cropped up, they didn't contact me, is archives.com (Alexa rank 8,477). I'd thought it only has US data, but see they also have BMD index and census transcriptions for England and Wales so it will get into the regular table. In fact it ranks above eogn.com (40,852) so Dick will lose his unlucky 13th spot in the genealogy sites list.

Two other sites, genealogytoday.com (118,669) and mocavo.com (134,126) come in above anglo-celtic-connections.blogspot.com (159,611) dropping it three places.

Other sites not in the original list ranked above 1,000,000 by Alexa are:

scotlandspeople.gov.uk 221,617
thegenealogist.co.uk 292,373
britishgenes.blogspot.com 292,914
olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com 377,772historyextra.com 377,773
bi-gen.blogspot.com  559,298

There are probably others, Suggestions welcome for any Canadian, UK or international site that ranks better than 1,000,000 by Alexa.

No comments: