10 July 2012

How accessible and usable are Canadian archival websites?

Do you get frustrated with non-accessible websites? Do you wonder why they're shrinking font sizes? If so maybe you can help out by participating from home in a School of Library, Archival and Information Studies project at the University of British Columbia.

My name is Lisa Snider and I am a Dual MAS/MLIS student I am conducting a research study to find out how accessible and usable Canadian archival websites are for users with and without disabilities. Even though I am focusing on archives, the results will also be applicable to libraries, historical societies, etc.
The goal of the study is to inform archivists about the possible barriers on their websites, and educate them on how to make their websites more accessible and usable for all viewers.. I am particularly interested in increasing awareness about website accessibility in archival environments.
I need more volunteer website testers!
I am looking for volunteers who self identify as either disabled or non-disabled. Volunteers will remain anonymous in the study results, and they can choose to test all 5 websites or stop at any time.
If you, or anyone you know (including patrons and colleagues), would be interested in volunteering please contact me at lsnider@interchange.ubc.ca. Also feel free to pass this email along to others and to any disability related organizations and listservs as well.
I have attached the volunteer call letter (with more details) in PDF format to this email, and I have also put the information (and PDF) online on my website:
http://www.lisasnider.ca/content/volunteers-needed-archival-website-research-study
http://www.lisasnider.ca/Archival_Website_Research_Study_Volunteer_Letter.pdf
Any help you can provide is much appreciated.

No comments: