02 February 2014

MAPCO is missing

Since March 2009 I've been singing the praises of MAPCO for their reproductions of old maps, especially of London. Now the site is gone. Gail Roger drew my attention to a tweet, dated January 27th, from Mapco’s account:

MAPCO is a victim of its own success. Too much traffic & too much server load has forced the closure of the site. Future is uncertain.

Some of the MAPCO content can be recovered through the Internet Archive although it seems to be a bit hit and miss. For instance, find the Kelly's Post Office Directory Map Of London 1857 at https://web.archive.org/web/20101119172317/http://archivemaps.com/mapco/kelly1857/kelly.htm





2 comments:

Gail Roger said...

The one I'll really miss is the 1860 map of London, a miracle of detail and such a wonderful tool for pinpointing contemporary addresses. I'll have to see if I can find it somehow, but Mapco had that wonderful zooming feature. Sigh...

Unknown said...

That's a real blow. I've used their site time and again. Is there nothing to be done (eg help from other historians/genealogists)? Does anyone know?

Thanks for letting us know, John.