08 March 2014

DNA Test Experience 2014: Company Results

The results are in. Many more people responded to the 2014 survey than last year, likely more people have taken a DNA test for genealogy, and thanks to social media more people got to hear about it. Thanks to all who promoted the survey and to those who reported their experience.

I'll report the individual question results over the next few days. First, opinions about the various testing companies, and its mostly good news. The question was "What was your overall level of satisfaction with the service from the company or companies you used?"

In order of the percent reported to be very satisfied:

Family Tree DNA, 95 respondents were very satisfied or satisfied, 8 dissatisfied or very dissatisfied, a nearly 12:1 favourable ratio.
23andMe, 53 respondents were very satisfied or satisfied, 8 dissatisfied or very dissatisfied, a nearly 6.6:1 favourable ratio.
National Geographic, 26 respondents were very satisfied or satisfied, 5 dissatisfied or very dissatisfied, a 5.2:1 favourable ratio.
Other, 11 respondents were very satisfied or satisfied, 1 dissatisfied or very dissatisfied, an 11:1 favourable ratio.
AncestryDNA, 29 respondents were very satisfied or satisfied, 17 dissatisfied or very dissatisfied, a 1.7:1 favourable ratio.

The remainder had very few respondents.

Britain's DNA Group, 2 respondents were very satisfied or satisfied, 3 dissatisfied or very dissatisfied, a 2:3 favourable ratio, mostly unfavourable.
Oxford Ancestors, 1 respondent very satisfied or satisfied, 2 dissatisfied or very dissatisfied, a nearly 1:2 favourable ratio, very much unfavourable.

The surprise for me was the relatively large number of dissatisfied AncestryDNA clients. Maybe those of us outside the US aren't missing out on too much.

2 comments:

Jim Owston said...

While I have found more traceable relatives with AncestryDNA, I feel cheated in the fact that we do not have a chromosome browser to analyze our individual results. That and the ability to triangulate matches would add to the value of their service.

Unknown said...

First time to find a blogger. I'm not a robot but I am having to re-enter info. Anyway, I want to do my DNA. I am a Hawkins by birth and there are a couple of prominant Hawkins lines. I do not have a father or brother available to donate DNA. Can I trace my lineage through the wives that I am aware of? Further, I found you in a comment you made about a CBC program. I am looking for a company to do my DNA? Any recommends? Thanks