06 February 2015

Findmypast adds British Merchant Navy First World War Medal Cards, 1914-1925

Transcriptions of 157,424 British Merchant Navy First World War Medal Cards from the UK National Archives are one of the additions this Friday to Findmypast.
Merchant Navy sailors with at least six months service during WW1 and who had served on at least one voyage through a danger zone were eligible for the Mercantile Marine Medal and entitled to the British War Medal.
Each entry in the database is linked to the card image at TNA which may have additional information. That access costs £3.30

Other additions at Findmypast this Friday are baptismal, marriage and burial index records for Dorset acquired from FamilySearch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This news is very interesting for me.My great uncle, a British sailor, died aboard his ship, the H.M.S. Natal when it exploded in 1915 at Cromarty Firth, Scotland. There's a lot of controversy about that explosion and there's a Cromarty website with hundreds of photos and conversations between viewers. I haven't been able to find any new personal information about my Uncle, Percy Larman, there but I keep hoping. The website is http://www.thecromartyarchive.org
I enjoy your blog, John.

Anonymous said...

Hi John, Thanks for this information. I'll certainly check it out. My great Uncle, a sailor, died aboard his ship, the H.M..S. Natal in 1915 when it exploded while at Cromarty Firth, Scotland. There's a lot of controversy about that explosion and a website filled with hundreds of photos and conversations with relative of those connected to the ship. I haven't found any personal information about my uncle, Percy Larman, yet. But I keep hoping. The website is http://www.thecromartyarchive.org