01 June 2015

Toronto Genetic Genealogy Day

I'm really looking forward to next Saturday and what promises to be a highlight of my year, the full day program of genetic genealogy lectures being organized by OGS Toronto Branch. Two others who were among the 35 at last Saturday's DNA group meeting in Ottawa will also be making the journey.

I expect to be arriving on Friday afternoon and staying at the Novotel in the same complex as the meeting. If anyone is interested in "doing dinner" at a nearby restaurant, perhaps Milestone's Grill & Bar at 5095 Yonge Street, on Friday evening let me know.

The program is a strong one, in some ways too strong.  My morning talk Did DNA Prove The Skeleton Under The Leicester Car Park Was Richard III?, good for a general audience, is at the same time as two others I'd like to hear.

You could describe the day as a double decker sandwich. Maurice Gleeson, a real leader in genetic genealogy education, constitutes the artisan, very nourishing, bread, with plenary presentations at the start and end of the day. He's also giving a presentation, with two others happening simultaneously, in the after lunch time-slot. Personally I've selected James F.S. Thomson's presentation Those Other Results: Haplogroups and Ethnic Origins for that time. James is a local rockstar in my book.

The second afternoon session leaves me debating. Should I support one of the three (unrelated) Reids on the program, Susan Reid on Stalking Your Non-Responsive DNA Matches: A Short Guide to Sneaky Sleuthing, I’ve Got My Autosomal DNA Results – Now What Do I Do? or go with with Sue Fenn or  Exploring Historic and Prehistoric Milestones with DNA given by Grant Karcich? Tough choice!

That's next Saturday, 6 June 2015, at the North York Central Library starting at 9:30 am. It's an event I'd recommend to anyone using or contemplating using DNA testing to enhance their genealogy. DNA is no longer for the bleeding edgers, it's now essential evidence for the genealogist.

Find out all about the program and how to register, there may be space still available, at http://torontofamilyhistory.org/learn/workshops/genetic-genealogy/.


No comments: