Saturday, 24 July 2010

The Irishman in Canada

Browsing in the Irish emigrant history section at the library of the University of Ottawa the other day I was surprised to come across "The Irishman in Canada" by Nicholas Flood Davin (1843-1901). I didn't know the book. The author has been featured in a couple of Beechwood Cemetery tours. The story is that, depressed over his declining fortunes, he committed suicide during a visit to Winnipeg (a city not often quite that depressing.) The impressive memorial at Beechwood was paid for by admirers.

I didn't have time to look at the book while at the University but thought I might find it in the Internet Archive. It's at

It wasn't much help in my search for information on settlement in the western parts of Carleton County. Bruce Elliott's "Irish Migrants in the Canada's: a new approach" was much more useful for that. Davin was known as raconteur. It's a talent well demonstrated in the book.

No comments: