25 July 2007

25 genealogy web sites we can't live without

It must be the season, there seems to a spate of best web site lists. Time.com has a list of the 50 best web sites, and 25 web sites we can't live without. I found the second list interesting:

Amazon.com; BBC.co.uk; CitySearch.com; Craiglist.org; Del.icio.us; Digg.com; EBay.com; ESPN.com; Facebook.com; FactCheck.org; Flickr.com; Google.com; HowStuffWorks.com; The Internet Movie Database; YouTube.com; Kayak.com; NationalGeographic.com; NetFlix.com; Technorati.com; TMZ.com; USA.gov; TelevisionWithoutPity.com; WebMD.com; Wikipedia.org; Yahoo.com

More than half I'd never visited. Having now checked them out I don't feel my life was previously notably impoverished.

Family Tree Magazine (the US one) has just put out its list of 101 Best Web Sites. Again, many are US-oriented, although there is an international section.

Not wanting to swim against the current, here is my genealogy-oriented list of 25 web sites I can't live without, reflecting my own Anglo-Celtic Canadian bias.

amazon.ca; ancestry.com;
archive.org; automatedgenealogy.com; collectionscanada.ca; cwgc.org; cyndislist.com; eogn.com; familyrecords.gov.uk; familysearch.org; familytreedna.com; familyhistoryonline.net; freebmd.org.uk; genuki.org.uk; google.com; loc.gov; nas.gov.uk; nationalarchives.gov.uk; nationalarchives.ie; ourroots.ca; rootsweb.com; sog.org.uk; scotlandspeople.gov.uk; ukbmd.org.uk; + your local library; + your local family history society

UPDATE

Randy Seaver posted his corresponding list of 25 US-oriented web sites here.

1 comment:

Miriam Robbins said...

Thank you for this great list! I will highlight it for my Online Genealogy students.