15 November 2011

Find My Past TV show

While in England I've had the opportunity to view four one-hour episodes of the TV programme Find My Past - http://www.findmypast.co.uk/content/find-my-past-tv/about.html

Three people, family members of three people who had a part in a historic event in British history, are taken on a journey to help them understand the significance of the event and the role their family member played.

It's broadcast on Yesterday, a UK commercial "cable" channel.

I saw episodes on the evacuation of Dunkirk, the Titanic, the Battle of Britain, and, the last, D-Day. The last was the most interesting.

There is perhaps 20-30 minutes of good television in each hour; lots of recaps after each commercial break, a meeting of the three family members in the final segment which seems rather artificial, and family members whose reactions only occasionally seem authentic.

Nevertheless, I'll probably watch the next one, on the Mutiny on the Bounty.

2 comments:

Cannuk said...

I've heard that it is a blatant infomercial for Bright Solid. Would you agree?

JDR said...

The program is named for FMP and wouldn't have happened without them. However, there are extended periods of the show when the company isn't mentioned.I'd put it somewhere between a US style infomercial and the sponsorship arrangement Ancestry have with WDYTYA.