09 November 2010

TNA Podcast: Forgotten WW2 tragedy

More casualties than in the Titanic, Lusitania and Empress of Ireland disasters combined. More than killed on 9/11.

As we approach Remembrance Day TNA is timely in posting a podcast from a talk given on the anniversary of the 7 June 1940 sinking of HMT Lancastria while evacuating troops from St Nazaire in France.

The talk, by Janet Dempsey, recounts the circumstances and attempts to explain why so many who were lost will never be accounted for.

It's one of the more memorable TNA podcasts I've heard. Listen at www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/podcasts/loss-of-lancastria.htm

1 comment:

Persephone said...

Golly! I'd better listen to that! My first cousin three times removed Harry Grattidge was second-in-command of the Lancastria, and I've just been re-reading his autobiography Captain of the Queens. He eventually became a Commodore and captained both the Queen Mary and the Queen Elizabeth. He is my great-great-grandmother's nephew.