Tuesday, 21 January 2014
BIFHSGO members Glenn Wright and Lesley Anderson were at the event in Toronto. If you know of other family historians who participated at a remote site please let me know.
We spent the morning listening to presentations from Toronto. The program is at http://archivists.ca/sites/default/files/Attachments/Advocacy_attachments/summit_program.pdf
There is far too much material to attempt to summarize. Some observations:
1. As Eisenhower said "plans are useless, but planning is indispensable." The interaction among participants will likely be more valuable than the formal results.
2. Ian Wilson showed that despite have been retired for several years he is still a strong community leader.
3. Twitter was very active with #archivesummit trending.
4. A background paper in the name of Hervé Déry, interim Librarian and Archivist of Canada, mentioned that LAC has had 1.5 million hits on Flickr. It was noted on Twitter that the Deseronto Archives had 1.1 million nits in same period. Quoting a big number doesn't cut it unless given some context. Need benchmarking. How do LAC's peer organizations, such as TNA, compare, especially the best performing?
5. I particularly enjoyed the presentation by Deborah Morrison from Canada's History and Craig Heron from York University. Texts of all presentations should be available shortly, likely through archivists.ca.
6. Bill Waiser from the University of Saskatchewan gave a strong presentation. He was one of several, including Ann Cavoukian, Information Privacy Commissioner of Ontario, who mentioned that access to government records is at the heart of government accountability. He also mentioned the need to revisit the opt-in provision for Canadian censuses "as required by law after two censuses (2016 and 2011)". Although I recall that being discussed I was unable to locate the legal requirement in the Statistics Canada Act which is where the amendments regarding the census were embedded.
In the afternoon the folks in Toronto broke into groups to discuss issues. Some of their reports are at https://t.co/gqSfnmdwVI
at 12:00 am