06 January 2014

Your advice please: OGS social media panel

The Ontario Genealogical Society Annual Conference, will be held at Brock University in St. Catharines, Ontario from May 1 to May 4, 2014. We'll be kicking off the Saturday morning session with an international plenary panel session. Tony Bandy (US), Kirsty Gray (England), Daniel Horowitz (Israel), Marian Press (Canada/NZ), Chris Paton (Scotland) will be the participants; I'll be moderating. You can read about the panelists, and other conference speakers at http://www.ogs.on.ca/conference2014/speakers_info/index.html
 
We've billed it as a social media panel and there will certainly be discussion about the panelist's social media activity. I also expect we'll address more diverse topics of interest to family historians and would welcome suggestions for topics, either as a comment or directly to me at johndreid at gmail dot com.
 
The organizers expect to stream the discussion online. Information on how to link remotely will be posted through the conference website at http://www.ogs.on.ca/conference2014/index.php
 
Thank you.
 

3 comments:

Jane E. MacNamara said...

I'd be interested in knowing whether the panel thinks twitter hashtags are a valuable tool for a genealogists and historians. Using #genealogy will bring a tweet to the feed on Anglo-Celtic Connections, but do we, as a group search by hashtag?

Paul Milner said...

John,

I am sure the group will discuss using social media as a research tool, but given the panelists it may also be good to discuss how do they each us it to market their professional research services and to promote their blogs.

I am glad that the panel is going to be streamed, I hope also recording for later listening if the listeners are not available at that moment to listen.

Paul Milner

GeniAus said...

This will be a super session. Wish I could be there. I'll be at sea so not sure I'll se the livesteeam :-(