Sunday, 9 July 2017

The Winchester Press

Winchester, south of Ottawa in the Township of North Dundas (pop 11,000), was settled in 1835.

The Winchester Press is the weekly newspaper published out of offices on St. Lawrence St. in Winchester. According to Brian Gilchrist's 1987 Inventory of Ontario Newspapers it was first published on 1 May 1888. According to McKim's directory each issue was 8 pages, 13-1/2" by 20".

Library and Archives Canada holds originals for Mar.8, Aug.16,1934; Sept.21,28,1967, and on microform from 1985 - 88.
The Ontario Archives lists holdings as 1906, 1939, 1966 (incomplete)l
The local library holds only current issues.
The proprietor holds original copies from 1920, and a few from 1919. Unfortunately previous copies were lost in a fire.

There is no indication that any legacy issues have been digitized.

The community history is vulnerable.

This is the first of an occasional series examining availability of newspapers of Eastern Ontario. Further information and updates welcome.


No comments: