02 April 2010

New Lost Cousins newsletter, 1 April 2010

Another newsletter from Lost Cousins packed with interesting and useful information came out on 1 April. Read it at http://lostcousins.com/newsletters/latest.htm It includes tips on maximizing information you can get from the 1911 census of England and Wales before charges apply, and a reminder about the Historical Streets Project in the Your Archives section of the National Archives site which may help you help you find a particular street on the 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871 and 1891 censuses.

Lost cousins members, no charge for basic membership, can get an email reminder when each newsletter is issued.

Also, until Monday 12th April the LostCousins site will be completely free - all members will be able to contact other members they have been matched with (normally only subscribers can initiate contact with someone new).

I confess I've become rather disappointed in my cousins who persist on remaining "lost". I've entered just over 100 relatives in the Lost Cousins database, people either in the 1881 or 1841 censuses of England and Wales, with no matches found by the system. However, even with no matches yet it's worth the free membership just for the free newsletter.

2 comments:

Persephone said...

I've been a non-paying member of Lost Cousins since 2006 and have roughly 500 of my relatives and 500 of my husband's relations entered. I've had only a handful of responses, but one was huge -- a sixth cousin who got one branch of my family tree back two further generations into eighteen century Buckinghamshire. Not only that, but she lives in Ontario! Through her, I learned of my connection to a couple largely responsible for the creation of the Cystic Fibrosis Society and to Len Cariou (the latter is only by marriage).

It's probably time I did more updating -- the 1841 census entries are news to me. Crikey, that's going to be a lot of work...

Anonymous said...

It's encouraging to learn of your success. I need to go out and find some more relatives, challenging as the number of kids who survived to have kids themselves in my lot is rather meagre.

Thanks for the posts you did on your blog in March which I thoroughly enjoyed reading.

N-RFB