07 April 2010

MAPCO map of London 1868

Yet another impressive map from MAPCO. It's been on the site for almost a year; amongst all the company's other London maps I seem to have overlooked it!

Edward Weller's Map Of London 1868 is highly detailed, on a very large scale of 9" to 1 Statue Mile, and covers Upper Holloway - Poplar - Kennington - North Kensington.

The extract shows a section of Clerkenwell centred Spa Fields burial grounds. Part of Coldbath Prison is to the bottom left. Myddleton Street, site of the former Family Records Centre, is at the top right. Northampton Street, present site of the London Metropolitean Archives is to south of Spa Fields.

See all MAPCO's London maps at http://archivemaps.com/mapco/london.htm,

Image courtesy of MAPCO : Map And Plan Collection Online

1 comment:

Persephone said...

May I say, thank you so much for posting this? I have made some good estimates on where in London my and my husband's ancestors were living, using still-extant surrounding streets that appear in the censuses, but here I can see the actual streets. Marvelous!