17 July 2011

Using LAC's Digitized Reels: British Military and Naval Records (RG 8, "C" Series) 1757-1906

Confused about all those military C series files of digitized microfilm reels from LAC that I blogged about recently? I was, but then being male I'm genetically programmed to not visit help files. I e-mailed Sylvie Tremblay at LAC who pointed them out to me, and then I was delighted to get an e-mail from one of my female readers battling with the same affliction.
If you go to http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/microform-digitization/006003-110.01-e.php you'll see this:

Click on help for the index and you'll get step by step instructions and a list giving the alphabetic range for each digitized microfilm, like this:

Scroll through the appropriate microfilm until you come to the index card you're looking for. It will direct you to a volume and page number.

Find the corresponding document microfilm reel using the table at: http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-909.002.07-e.html
the first part of which looks like:

While not perfectly straightforward it's perfectly workable with a bit of diligence.

No comments: