Sunday, 28 August 2016

FamilySearch adds England, Lancashire, Oldham Cemetery Registers, 1797-2004

Find records indexed and searchable for 516,231 deceased persons in this new database from FamilySearch. Links to original record images are available.
The collection contains cemetery registers from Hollinwood, Failsworth, Royton, Crompton, Chadderton, Lees, and Greenacres cemeteries in Oldham. Most registers contain, name, address, date of death, date of burial and burial location.

Chadderton Cemetery lies 2.4km west-north-west of Oldham town centre and is c 13ha in area. One of two Oldham cemeteries grade two listed as a  site of national importance, it opened in 1857. Described as a High Victorian cemetery it has a "good collection of C19 and C20 funerary monuments which reflect the development of Oldham."
There was an unusual "wrong box" event when 84 year old Caleb Walsh was placed in a coffin meant for a Mrs Jones who died on the same day at the Oldham workhouse. The mistake was discovered but not before the burial was complete. The burial is in this record set with no indication there was a disinterment, which at the time required Home Secretary permission, and no record of reburial in another cemetery which was the family preference.
Crompton Cemetery, which opened in 1891 is the resting place for 37 persons in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) database.
Failsworth Cemetery, opened 1887 contains 38 CWGC graves. There is an adjacent Jewish cemetery.
Greenacres Cemetery,  on the north-west side of the Medlock Valley.  was designed by Manchester architect N G Pennington who also designed Chadderton Cemetery. Opened in 1857, like Chadderton it is a grade two site of national importance. During WW2 is was the site of burials of German POWs buried with Nazi honours.
Hollinwood Cemetery, opened in 1889, the site of the Oldham Crematorium, is the resting place of 80 CWGC interments. The first burial was Lewis Wrench on 23rd November 1889.
Lees Cemetery, opened in 1879,The first burial was Seth Connor, a 13 year old cotton worker, on 13th January 1879.
Royton Cemetery, opened in 1879. The first burial was 4th October 1879 of 53 year old Marth(a) Fitton. It has 36 CWGC graves.

Oldham Council also has a database, without register images, for these cemeteries, and for Oldham Crematorium, at

The image is the entrance to Chadderton Cemetery, on Middleton Road (A669). © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

No comments: