12 February 2017

Back to RootsTech

If like me you had other things to do than watch presentations streamed live from Rootstech you can watch recordings of many talks at your own convenience -- for free. Go to www.rootstech.org and scroll down to Did You Miss a Session?

Some BIFHSGO colleagues mentioned these talks from Thursday and Friday:

Thursday
Diahan Southard, Your DNA Guide: DNA: The Glue that Holds Families Together

Friday
Judy G. Russell: Mothers, Daughters, Wives: Tracing Female Lines
Sunny Morton: Big 4: Comparing Ancestry, findmypast, FamilySearch and MyHeritage
Jen Baldwin: Cross the Atlantic with Religious Records

It was too early to hear comments on Saturday's presentations.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To Friday's lost I would add Amy Harris's session on "Next Steps on British Research."

Celia Lewis said...

KATHERINE WILSON did another sterling presentation on Saturday: how to do Google Alerts. Oh my, she was so good!! I thought I knew how to make an effective alert - but she showed us all how to be thorough, careful, detailed, to get great results. Such a good presenter. And reminded us that there seems to be no limit to how many alerts one could have. Go for it!

CRISTA COWAN was another Saturday presenter who was superb - showing us how to use the Genealogical Proof Standard in Researching not just searching in Ancestry. Once more, she helped me understand how Ancestry's many databases are indexed, how to find the original sources, and why to search with less not more, etc. I've watched her mini-webinars on Ancestry in the past, and she's always helpful. Well worth seeing several times to get a better understanding of not just Ancestry, but the GPS.

A reminder - if you go to the RootsTech.org site and scroll right down to the very bottom, you will be able to download their app. And then by clicking through to the sessions, you can download the handouts of the topics/presenters - any & all of them. A phenomenal benefit for everyone.

Being one of the over 100,000 who were live-streaming, I also followed the Twitter feed on my 2nd screen, using the #NotAtRootsTech hashtag, and that was also helpful and made me feel connected to other genealogists around the world (Australia to Germany). I got direct assistance from two different organizations with more hints & suggestions on how/where to look for my oh-so-hidden Civil War ancestor's records, an offer to help with my Netherlands ancestor. Plus general interesting comments back and forth - "almost" like being there!!