08 March 2021

Monday Memories: Genealogy CDs

The era of CDs started around 1980, peaked in the late 1990s returning back to the 1980 level today. That's according to the Google Ngram utility. 

Today's computers don't come with CD drives so if I want to consult one in my substantial collection accumulated over the years I have to hunt for my USB plug-in CD drive. It's a while since I used that. 

Some in my collection, bringing memories of my earlier days researching my family history, are:

  • CDs for British Records published as in the series Family History Resource File by the LDS Church.
  • magazine cover CDs from the now-defunct UK Your Family History magazine.
  • one published by the Ottawa Branch of OGS for Beechwood Cemetery and another for Pinecrest and Highland Park Cemeteries.
  • disks from Archives CD Books and Archive CD Books Canada.
  • CDs with files ordered from Library and Archives Canada -- why are CDs still being sent when the technology is fading so fast?
Not shown, and one I'd be reluctant to throw out, is the British 19th Century Surname Atlas, a groundbreaking resource from Stephen Archer published in 2003.

Do you have a genealogy CD collection? Do you still make use of them other than to fill up storage?

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember working at the Treasury Board Secretariat in the 1980s and there was huge excitement at the plan to produce all TBS policies on a CD. Now, how quaint. Cheers, BT

Anonymous said...

I still have a lot of CDs/DVDs in general. You can usually copy the content of the CD onto your hard drive or whatever else you use for storage.

I've kept my last laptop that has an internal CD/DVD reader. It is not connected to the internet, but I can easily pop in a CD/DVD and copy anything that I want to move to my current laptop.

Like my music, I'd rather have it on physical media than having to rely on a service to access it.

Anonymous said...

I was so excited to order and receive the 1881 British census on CD by the LDS Church, which I see is in your collection. I spent days printing out census pages of households. I tossed those CDs years ago and now print very little. How things have changed in 20 years. Some of my purchased family history CDs are no longer readable, as CDs and DVDs do not last forever. But those 1881 CDs spurred me to search the 1891 census on fiche at the library and I am still enjoying my research.
Helen B

Sophronia said...

When my last laptop bit the dust, I was lucky enough to find a new with with all the bells & whistles PLUS DVD Reader/Writer. I have no idea what 'bright spark' decided we didn't need them any more. It must have been someone involved wih Solid State external drives. I have a lot of my genealogy reference material on DVD.

Rick Roberts, GlobalGenealogy.com said...

We (Global Genealogy) thought CDs would be gone about 10 years ago. We still receive orders for the CD versions of our books every day, even though that book is also available from us as a printed book or as a pdf download too. Customer is always right, so we continue to make CDs available.