29 March 2021

Monday Memories: Music CDs

CDs followed vinyl, covered last week. I skipped 8-track and my cassette collection was never large. Some that bring back memories are:

"Hev Yew Gotta Loight Bor? by the Singing Postman, Allen Smethurst.  He was active in the 1960s with his broad Norfolk accent, something I never picked up. It's on YouTube

"Water Under Snow is Weary" by Tapiola Choir, one I picked up in Helsinki on a business trip. It's on YouTube. Finlandia is also in my collection (love this video).

A collection "Portuguese Folk Music" reminds of happy holidays with family.

Al Brisco, steel guitar virtuoso, gave me "Pickin Up the Dust" as a thank you for finding him and "returning" a family bible that Bob Lamoureau found in a collection of donated books. Al is on YouTube

"Hymns of Faith," a thank you gift for making a presentation at a Voices from the Dust event organized by the Ottawa Stake, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

"Roseberry Road" is likely the most recent CD I own. Who doesn't enjoy Shelly Posen's songs with or without the group Finest Kind? Although not on that CD his song No More Fish, No Fishermen reminds me of the way technology killed the herring fishery in my old hometown in Norfolk. It's on YouTube.

No comments: