11 March 2021

Worth Waiting For: BIFHSGO Conference 2021

 

Having been teased for months with information about the BIFHSGO conference next September I was delighted when I finally got to see the program.

BIFHSGO broke the mould, something I've advocated, and now a matter of necessity in this time of COVID — an example of "when life gives you lemons making lemonade."

Because it's happening online there's a much wider variety of quality international speakers than would be affordable if they had to be flown to Ottawa.

For the same reason, it's spread out from Sunday 19th to Sunday 26th of September with three presentations each day, no parallel sessions, and skipping Tuesday, Thursday and Friday in between.

The timing, with nothing starting until noon, good for those who burn the midnight oil and sleep in late, is convenient for those in time zones from our west coast to Europe.

If you have a conflict, access to the presentation videos and handouts will be available for two weeks after the conference concludes.

Not having the travel expenses the registration is kept low, $45. For 15 presentations that's an unheard-of low $3 per session - but you do have to provide the snacks of your choosing! To the relief of the organizers that means they don't have to account for food preferences.

It's only good value if the presentations are good. The speakers I've heard are excellent, there are a couple I don't know. I'm looking forward to attending all the talks. 

You be the judge if what's on offer meets your interest. I will be registering at the earliest opportunity. I am now registered.

https://bifhsgo2021.ca/

3 comments:

Btyclk said...

Hi, John,

I just finished registering for the conference. I am so looking forward to it. There are a few speakers that I've heard about but haven't had the opportunity of listening to them. BIFHSGO is doing a good job on this.

Anonymous said...

I agree. I have never bothered to learn about Zoom, and have never attended a BIFHSGO meeting since the pandemic forced it online.

However, I am delighted to see what BIFHSGO is offering for its 2012 conference. I will learn to Zoom. I swear I will. Cheers, BT

Edward M. Chadwick said...

I have looked at the program and am very impressed with the scheduled speakers and their topics, a lot to look forward to in the fall! The website too is very professional, reflecting the standard that one usually finds with initiatives undertaken by BIFHSGO.