12 September 2011

Rules we live by


How well do you really know your ancestor? Readers of my article "Her Majesty's Hospitality" in the most recent Anglo-Celtic Roots know that I filled out the picture of one of my ancestors, previously a collection of vital records, when I found he transgressed.

Did your ancestor live by the rules? What rules?  Perhaps The Golden Rule or the ten commandments? If all you know of your ancestor is the vital record facts maybe you can claim to know their genealogy, but not their family history. Do you find your research into that person satisfactory?

How many of the items on this list of Life's Instructions did he or she live by?
  1. Have a firm handshake.
  2. Look people in the eye.
  3. Sing in the shower.
  4. Own a great stereo system.
  5. If in a fight, hit first and hit hard.
  6. Keep secrets.
  7. Never give up on anybody. Miracles happen everyday.
  8. Always accept an outstretched hand.
  9. Be brave. Even if you're not, pretend to be. No one can tell the difference.
  10. Whistle.

    and 41 more at 
    http://www.amazingposts.com/2007/07/lifes-instructions.html



1 comment:

Cannuk said...

The only two rules of life that my father ever taught me.

1. Bet on the jockey as well as the horse.
2 Don't bring a knife to a gunfight.

I guess we were dysfunctional.