22 April 2014

Now you'll know

Peter Munro correctly identified the list of nicknames published a few days ago as British Army regiments.  More specifically they were in the war of 1812 in Canada. They are:

The Holy Boys: The Royal Norfolk Regiment, recruited from East Norfolk
Pontius Pilate's Bodyguard: The Royal Scots, recruited from Berwick
The Elegant Extracts: The Royal Fusiliers (City of London)
The Vein-Openers: Worcestershire Regiment (Worcestershire and Herefordshire)
The Devil's Own: Connaught Rangers (Ireland and Scotland).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always like to learn more history. I got the regiment part right for three of them, and knew I was on the right track after Mr Munro chimed in, but I'll tell you it was much easier hunting for my Easter chocolates, so thanks for the answers and facts.

Lynne Willoughby said...

Apparently the 90th Winnipeg Rifles, which became the 8th Battalion of the CEF were known as "The Little Black Devils" - Named that by the native population .as a result of their participation in the North West Rebellion. A little factoid I picked put this weekend.