28 March 2019

Guy Berthiaume announces departure from Library and Archives Canada

Guy Berthiaume 
Photo by Michel Gagné
I was saddened to read in the introduction to the latest issue of Signatures Guy Berthiaume, Librarian and Archivist of Canada writing:
This issue of Signatures is the last for which I will have the pleasure of writing an introduction. Over the past four years, I have done so on eight occasions, and each time, I have been amazed at the depth and breadth of knowledge of my colleagues at LAC. In the very first issue of Signatures, I began my comments by recalling the words of Alexander von Humboldt: “I feel every day that you only work well if the people around you work better.” Today, with the experience I have gained during my time as the Librarian and Archivist of Canada, I do not believe I could say it any better. 
Guy took over a dispirited organization, quickly turned it around showing strong leadership. All Canadians have benefitted, especially from material now online. Those of us fortunate enough to use the present facilities look forward to using the combined LAC/OPL building at 555 Albert which he championed.

I'm sure you will join me in wishing Guy all the best in whatever new challenges he chooses.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

I'm so sorry to hear he's leaving. As you said, he turned LAC around after the disastrous reign of the previous Librarian. I hope they find someone equal to him to continue his good work.