01 November 2020

Sunday Sundries

Miscellaneous items I found of interest during the week.

Tom Lehrer and US satire from Charlie Chaplin to Randy Rainbow – why it remains relevant now

The statue of Sir Arthur Doughty, Dominion Archivist
A LAC Discover blog post by David Rajotte

A Brief History Of Crypts. Don't call them basements!

November

Five historical romances to escape into during a pandemic

Capitalism and the coronavirus crisis: the coming transformation(s)

‘Decarbonisation’ may be the wrong goal for energy – here’s why

US Electors Please Note
“You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.” 
Former U.S. Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Thanks to this week's contributors: Anonymous, Bruce Elliott, Elizabeth Kipp, Elizabeth Vincent, M. Anne Sterling, Mike Jaques, Unknown

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My new favorite quote
"You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.”
Former U.S. Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Persephone said...

My parents were long-time fans of Tom Lehrer. I am, too! However, watching the musical Tomfoolery about thirty years ago, I felt a sinking in my stomach even as I laughed. Some of his songs had dated, but several had, very frighteningly, not. I don't blame him for his alarm in how prescient his satire turned out to be. As one of his song concluded: "I hope he is half as scared as I!!"