The Canadian Library Association has established a Local History & Genealogy Services Network with purposes:
- Provide a forum serving the interests of historians, genealogists and librarians whose work is in, or related to, the field of local history and genealogy
- Provide on-going training and support to local history and genealogy librarians, library staff and information professionals working in organizations such as libraries, archives, museums or genealogical societies which serve and assist history and genealogy researchers
- Provide an opportunity to discuss issues and concerns related to organization and management of local history and genealogy collections and delivery of specialized services to this diverse clientele
- Provide collaborative opportunities between and with local, regional and national libraries as well as with international organizations, including ALA RUSA History Division, IFLA GENLOC, CILIP LOCSTUDIES and EBLIDA.
The initial, optional, plan of activities includes:
- To facilitate the exchange of information pertaining to local history and genealogy resources, services and collections via an online listserv, blog, wiki, chat rooms and/or electronic means
- To provide online webinars to instruct and train local history and genealogy librarians and information professionals
- To moderate workshops and/or meetings aimed at librarians and information professionals at the annual CLA conference or similar conference venues.
The founding members, with email addresses, are:
Penny Allen firstname.lastname@example.org (Moderator)
May P. Chan email@example.com
Kim Harrison firstname.lastname@example.org
Peter McNally email@example.com
Diana Hall firstname.lastname@example.org
Kam Teo email@example.com
Frank Van Kalmthout firstname.lastname@example.org
Laurie J. Cooke email@example.com
Christine Hayes firstname.lastname@example.org
Yvonne Brown email@example.com
The network has a meeting scheduled for 1 June in Ottawa at the Canadian Library Association annual conference.