02 October 2017

Barrack Hill Cemetery Reinterment at Beechwood Cemetery

At an inter-denominational service on Sunday afternoon at Beechwood Cemetery the individuals whose remains were disinterred during the excavation for the Ottawa Light Rail Transit System were honoured. They had originally been buried in Barrack Hill Cemetery in the region of the city block surrounded by modern day Sparks, Elgin, Albert and Metcalfe Streets.

One box with remains, representative of the 32 children and 47 adults, perhaps more, was at the service under the UK flag. The others had already been reinterred on 25 September.

It is likely other remains will be found during further excavation for the transit project.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry I missed the ceremony. I'm positive that my gg-grandfather and grandmother's child Michael was in the Barrack Hill Cemetery. He was born in 1840 and died (I found his christening date at Notre Dame's Basilica but not his death but I know he died as they had another child in 1842 and also called him Michael. He died between 1840 and 1842. Hopefully someone can give me more information about the location of the remains. Thank you,

D. Britt