29 March 2012

Ancestry adds London and Surrey, England, Marriage Bonds and Allegations, 1597-1921

Created by individuals applying for marriage licenses in parishes in the Diocese of Winchester (Surrey) and the Diocese of London, England, these records typically give:

  • groom (name, age, marital status, occupation, parish)
  • bride (name, age, marital status, parish)
  • parish where the marriage was to take place
Age is often give as 21 and upwards. 

There are more than 750,000 records in the collection, another product of Ancestry's cooperation with the London Metropolitan Archives.

1 comment:

Persephone said...

Noooooo! I had other plans!!!! Instead, I spent a great whack of today finding marriage bonds for various family members. Not a great deal more information than I already had, but enough to make it worthwhile. For example, I discovered that my husband's great-grandfather added an extra detail to his address, placing it in Doctor's Commons. I had to go off and find out what that was, and ran smack into Dickens and Swift...