04 January 2012

Weak-minded ancestors revealed, not likely

Today, 4 January 2012, all can be revealed in the 1911 census of England and Wales. The previously redacted infirmity column of the census form can be revealed. Findmypast.co.uk have done so on their images, not yet on Ancestry.

Chances are you won't find any unpleasant surprises. Mostly there's noting entered in the column, except maybe a dash. For a couple of institutions I checked there was not a single infirmity entered. Also it may not be in the exact form specified in the instructions. I found weak minded rather feeble minded. Only in one case was the age of onset specified as instructed.

1 comment:

Alison (Vancouver) said...

I haven't looked at 1911 yet, but I've found the data in earlier censuses useful, especially with common names. A deaf relation was found as such on two or three censuses. I have also found entries like "imbecile since birth", and "feeble minded" (for an elderly person)