13 September 2015

Celia hits a sensitive spot

Judging by the reaction respected British genealogist Celia Heritage shares a pet peeve of many fellow family historians with a blog post Time to Improve Online Coverage Details.

It is my opinion that genealogy websites should provide full source details and coverage dates for each of their databases. They should also clearly state where a database is not yet complete.
Lot's of genealogists agree, I'm one of them. When I have time I try to indicate what's in new databases as I blog about them. Sometimes that's just too arduous. The task is virtually impossible when all we're told is that the database has been updated and the number of records it now contains.

Ancestry, Findmypast and FamilySearch -- you can do better. Listen to your clients.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is why I have never subscribed to FindMyPast. Without the source, I cannot trust the repository.