28 October 2013

Speaking in Canada

If you're coming to Canada to take part in a family history conference, or inviting someone from overseas to come and speak, its good to know what you tell them at the border to smooth the way?

According to The Citizenship and Immigration website Find out if you need a work permit to work in Canada there is a category of Public speakers comprising
"guest speakers, commercial speakers or seminar leaders" who can speak or deliver training in Canada without a work permit as long as the event is no longer than five days.

If your presentations are particularly entertaining you may prefer to claim exemption as a performing artist!

1 comment:

Ellen Thorne Morris said...

I was detained at Toronto airport when I said I was going to a genealogy class and visiting with friends in 1980s. I don't think they knew what genealogy was or thought I was teaching a class - took a bit of explaining before allowed in.